Wanting to know a little bit more about us & our ponchos?
Mexicanponcho.com.au – was born in 2011 after two Australian travellers; Josh & Steph backpacked their way around Central and South America. We instantly fell in love with the rich culture, lifestyle and handicrafts – particularly in Mexico. For anyone that’s ever been to the markets in Mexico they will know just what we’re talking about.
In particular we loved the ponchos that lined markets all throughout Central and South America…
Vibrant colours of ponchos – like hanging tapestries lined the arts & crafts markets around Mexico city and it was hard to ignore the quality of traditional designs, handiwork & intricacy of some of them. After trying some on we were instantly hooked. Not only could they be worn over anything and were completely freeing, warm & soft to wear but most of all we realised what a fun item of clothing they are. It truly is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing a poncho. It wasn’t long before we were taking requests for friends back home in Australia also wanting their own authentic Mexican ponchos.
Whether you wanted traditional designs, vibrant fiesta style ones or even football team ponchos they had everything there for us. This is when we decided that there was definitely a distinct lack of quality ponchos available for sale online and the world really doesn’t know what it’s missing out on when it comes to ponchos. The only ponchos that seemed to exist on the internet were emergency rain ponchos and cheap, low-quality ponchos from China.
This is when we decided to source Mexican designed and hand woven ponchos from a quality Mexican supplier in Tlaxcala, a city to the east of Mexico City that has long being known for its high quality textiles. Our suppliers practice fair trade so you can be assured that anything you purchase from us is not made in a sweat-shop but rather by artisans that have made ponchos by hand their whole lives only using high quality wool, dyes & traditional patterns so that our ponchos not only look great, but they also last the test of time especially in the rugged terrain the Australian outback can throw at us.
But who better to tell you about the quality of our ponchos than a Mexican?
We have now expanded our range of hand-made ponchos to classic ones worn on the screen including Clint Eastwood’s poncho, the Back to the Future poncho and of course the iconic poncho worn in the popular TV series The Walking Dead. So whether you are after a quality replica poncho prop, need a Mexican costume for a fiesta party that’s coming up or simply want to parade around and enjoy the happiness that ponchos provide – we definitely have you covered.
Since our first trip to Mexico we have since travelled to several other regions to source locally made ponchos including:
We understand that your poncho or sombrero you purchase from us may be a last minute costume that you need in time for the weekend which is why we offer in most cases free express postage in Australia as well as competitive rates internationally.
If you are still wondering, why buy from us? Especially if you are on the other side of the world we have listed some reasons below:
- We don’t use sweatshops – So you can buy with confidence knowing that your Poncho has been ethically manufactured.
- We offer express worldwide courier – So you can get your poncho super fast anywhere in the world.
- All of our ponchos are unisex and one-size-fits-all which means you dont need to worry about them being the wrong size when yours arrives.
- We offer a large range of colours, designs and materials so there really is something for everyone.
- We don’t sell cheap, crappy ponchos. All ponchos are top quality and will stand the test of time.
- We use 256 bit encrypted SSL certificate to ensure any of your details are kept secure during checkout. We also accept Visa, MasterCard American Express and Paypal.
- When you contact us you hear from one of us.
- We make a damn good margarita – well, from the look on my face, its not that great.
Feel free to CONTACT US if you require any further information about us and our ponchos.